The mission of DENIN is to conduct research and coordinate partnerships that integrate environmental science, engineering, and policy in order to provide solutions and strategies that address environmental challenges.
The institute fosters a culture of scholarship that leverages the combined talents of our affiliates and fellows and adds value to environmental research, education, and outreach efforts through collaborative working groups, joint proposal development, and synergistic resource coordination.
The institute’s goals are to
1. Initiate large, interdisciplinary research projects in areas in which University of Delaware researchers and affiliates excel;
2. Support strong, interdisciplinary academic programs and facilitate the development of new programs through UD’s colleges and departments;
3. Forge knowledge-based partnerships among universities, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, industry, and the public that address environmental concerns; and
4. Sponsor and coordinate signature events and programs that provide opportunities for interdisciplinary interactions, including
• environmental venture partnerships,
• colloquia and roundtables,
• an affiliates program for faculty and research professionals, and
• a Web-based directory that provides public access to research and problem-solving resources.
Our vision is to develop an internationally recognized community of faculty, staff, and students in environmental science, engineering and policy, supported by state-of-the-art facilities and an effective management process, who can compete successfully for interdisciplinary grants, provide research-based educational opportunities, promote economic development, and contribute to the environmental health of the state, the region, and the world.