The DENIN Network in the News
Governor John Carney on Thursday signed Senate Bill 200 and Senate Bill 207, two pieces of legislation aimed at protecting Delaware’s coasts from offshore drilling. These pieces of legislation will help maintain high-quality coastline waters and protect thousands of jobs supported by Delaware’s coastal tourism industry. Coast-related activities contribute almost $7 billion to Delaware’s economy. Sponsored by DENIN network members Governor Carney, Shawn Garvin, Stephanie Hansen and Ernie Lopez.
Students in Action
Kyra Kim is at the beach again, but her Ph.D. advisor won’t mind. Kim’s research is among the first to explore the biochemistry of the wet sand zone on beaches.
- Xiangmin Liang, Making Bioplastic from Microorganisms in Wastewater Sludge
- Amanda Rosier, Pioneer in an Unseen World
- Eric Moore, Grappling with Invasive Plants in Urban Forests
- Danhui Xin, Demystifying the Chemistry Behind Biochar
- Anders Kiledal, What Lives Inside Concrete?
Faculty Cluster Hire
An interdisciplinary team of faculty from five University of Delaware colleges will be conducting a Coastal Water Security cluster hire focused on water quality, toxicological assessment and restoration of contaminated environments, and impacts on human and ecosystem health arising from increased stressors in the coastal environment. To learn more, click link above.